Sony is working on a new wireless charging technology based on the Qi standard that could shorten wireless charging time to as little as an hour. Sony is able to achieve these rapid charging times since the new wireless charging devices and accessories are able to use more current to charge phones and tablets.
According to Japan’s Nikkei publication, the new Sony-made devices are able to use 10-15 watts of electricity. Additionally, partner Rohm Company is also developing a control chip for the higher wattage of the wireless chargers. The control circuitry is important in mitigating issues of overheating when using a wireless charger.
- Sony’s New Qi Wireless Charging Tech Could Charge a Phone in 1-Hour
- Smartphone charging: Toward a faster fill-er-up
- Sony’s new wireless charging technology could give your phone a full battery …
- Now, charge your cell phones with water!
- Don’t Waste Your Money: The best charging mats for your cell phone